First, 1/2" rebar was bent and cut to reinforce the footing and to add vertical tie-ins for the stem wall (to be poured later).
I ran two lengths around the perimeter consisting of four 20 ft sections and some scrap I scored free from Craigslist. To get the rebar off the ground, I could've used metal "chairs" or concrete dobies but opted for suspending it with wire and wood.
Every 4 feet, I put in a small horizontal section and then a vertical L shaped piece that is the tie in for the eventual stem wall.
With the rebar in place, yesterday in the wee morning hours to beat the freaky unseasonable heat, Kendra and I got to work mixing, pouring and troweling concrete for the foundation's footing.
|Getting the right consistency. Also, Weber grill on pile of rubble....ya|
|Carefully eying the changing consistency. Lots of emptied bags|
After it was all laid and roughly troweled (doesn't matter how it looks, just need to get out any voids), we laid plastic down to keep moisture in and prevent drying. The slower the concrete drys, the better; if it dries too quickly, its prone to cracking and is more brittle.
Today we uncapped the plastic and behold, our new concrete moat!
The footing is approximately 16" wide (a bit wider on the load bearing ends) and 8" deep. Should be plentyyy of support for our tiny house.
Next phase, chalking out lines for the final layout, bending and cutting more rebar, building the form for the stem wall (not looking forward to this) and then finally pouring the stem wall.
Stay tuned :)